Wednesday, January 31, 2018

Super Blue Blood Moon

This extremely rare event was a trifecta of lunar phenomena. The first, most common, one is the supermoon, which is when the moon is closest to the earth so it looks bigger and brighter. The second is the blue moon, which is simply the second full moon in the same month. The third is the rarest: a lunar eclipse. This happens when the earth is exactly between the sun and the moon. As such, the moon falls completely behind the earth's shadow, at which point is gets its red color, hence the name blood moon. As such, January 31 allowed the world to see the Super Blue Blood Moon.


I actually almost missed it. I saw something about a the moon on social media earlier that day but I didn't pay attention to it. So I was busy sorting stuff out at home when my friend sent a message to our chat group and said that the moon was really beautiful. I commented that I kinda felt too lazy to get out of the building to look at it (I couldn't see it from my window) so he sent a photo that he took using his phone and the moon looked distinctly red. I don't recall ever seeing the moon red and I was instantly excited. I immediately headed down and looked at the moon and it was indeed beautiful.
 I'm not sure when we will experience the next Super Blue Blood Moon- some say in 150 years, some say in 20 - but I am pretty happy that I got to see it this time around.

No comments: