Friday, April 07, 2017

The E-Waste Project

I've known for a while that ideally, you shouldn't throw used batteries along with regular trash because they contain heavy metals that can contaminate the environment. I had always wanted to find out where in the Philippines I can properly dispose of used batteries but I hadn't really put in the requisite research effort to figure this out. I also somehow decided not to throw used or busted light bulbs along with regular trash just because I wasn't sure whether you could. Because of this, I've kept all my used batteries and light bulbs at home.

Thankfully, my friend shared The E-Waste Project Facebook page with me recently. They were collecting old e-waste from April 4 to 7 at the ASCAL Walk in UP Diliman (which was then extended to April 21). I messaged their Facebook page to ask if their e-waste collection included used batteries and light bulbs and they said it did. As such, I made my way to UP on what originally was their last day of e-waste collection to drop off my stash.

I didn't have enough time to go through some of my other stuff at home, or even some broken electronics we have at my family's house. (I know for sure we have some broken cameras and DVD players, among other things.) I will start gathering these items and maybe put them in a box at my family's house so I can be ready if and when there is another e-waste collection effort.

No comments: