Tuesday, January 17, 2017

My first game night of the year

I met up with my friends for our first board and tabletop gaming night of 2017. We couldn't stay as late as we normally do because our host Karen had an early morning event the next day. Still, we were able to play a few games. Or rather, I was able to play a few games. The way our game night turned out, one set of people played Through the Ages: A New Story of Civilization which is a long game to begin with but it is even longer when it is still being taught to people for the first time. The folks who played it ended up playing only that game but I on the other hand was able to play three different games. The first one I played was Suburbia, which I played one time before. I guess my learning curve kicked in because after my third place finish then, I won this time around.

Suburbia (photo from Amazon.com)

A few other friends joined us after we completed Suburbia so we played Fresco. The last time I played this game, I played with wrong rules - to be fair, I was the one who read the instructions to teach the game to my other friends and I interpreted the rules incorrectly - and that led to my last place finish. This time, I was able to make a bit of a comeback as I finished first, making it my second win that night.

Fresco (photo from https://boardgamegeek.com)

The last game I played was The World of Smog: On Her Majesty's Service. Of the games I played that night, this was the only one I was hadn't tried before. I have to say, the design of this game and the artwork is incredible and the fact that you have to move parts of the board around during game play makes it interesting and unique. Thanks to one card I picked up which allowed me to take the lead and a move by another player from which I greatly benefited, I somehow ended up winning this game as well. Wow, what a big night for me!

The World of Smog: On Her Majesty's Service (photo from https://boardgamegeek.com)

If I factor in the last time I played in 2016 in which I won Bruges, I'm now on a four-game winning streak. Cool! I also just realized that I ended 2016 on a winning note and started 2017 also on a winning note. I am definitely looking forward to playing more games, including Through the Ages: A New Story of Civilization since it looks really interesting (and, despite the length of its game play, is currently ranked #2 on Boardgamegeek).

No comments: