Saturday, May 07, 2016

Movie-watching 2016 part 2

Captain America: Civil War


I made sure to watch Captain America: Civil War this week since I was started to get exposed to a lot of people talking about it and I didn't want to be spoiled. Civil War has been getting a lot of very positive feedback from its early viewers so I was expecting a lot from it. Now that I have seen, I will say that from a personal standpoint, it didn't quite live up to the hype. Not to say that it's not good (it definitely is) but I guess this was one of those instances where the movie didn't quite live up to my very high expectations. Still, it's a good movie and it is interesting how succeeding Marvel films will play out given how this one ended. Note that there are two bonus scenes - one early in the credits and one at the very end.

Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice


While Civil War has been getting tremendously strong feedback from critics and viewers, the opposite is true for Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice. I watched it as its theatrical release in Manila was ending. In this case, I don't know if it was because my expectations were so low but I actually really enjoyed this movie. I loved Wonder Woman's introduction (the theme is kick-ass) and naturally, I also love the part where Superman, Batman and Wonder Woman worked together to face off against Doomsday. Maybe it's because I grew up watching these three superheroes so seeing them in the same movie was really exciting for me. I am actually looking forward to next installment.

Jungle Book


I initially wasn't that interested to see Jungle Book until I saw the reviews - on Rotten Tomatoes, it is rated 95% by critics and 92% by audiences. As such, I felt I should go see it. As I watched it, I realized my initial instinct was correct. The imagery is just absolutely stunning - this should be a contender for best special effects and it might actually be a great film to watch in 3D - but apart from the amazing CGI, I found it to be slightly underwhelming and I thought the story flowed a bit too slowly. Apart from the visuals, what I found equally impressive was that Neel Sethi who played Mowgli was the only live actor in movie. For a 12-year old to be by himself throughout the entire movie and act as if he was talking to animals while moving around in a jungle landscape shows incredible maturity and creativity.

*****

The weird thing here is that among these three movies, I enjoyed the lowest-rated one the most and the highest-rated one the least. Go figure. :)

No comments: