Saturday, January 02, 2016

Looking back at 2015

What I love about having my blog is that I am always able to look back at the highlights of the last year. As it is the start of the new year, I will uphold tradition and review some of the most influential moments of the last year.

Memorable moments:
My family celebrated Nanay's birthday at Prince Albert and a few months later, we revisited La Cocina De Tita Moning. I attended the 40th wedding anniversary of my aunt and uncle at Lemuria. I now have another godchild. I went to Pansol with my new team. I also spent a wonderful day in Thunderbird Resort in Rizal with some of my closest friends. It wasn't all good though. Early this year, both my grandmother Mama and Tita Nelia passed away. I also had surgery that left me hobbled for a month.

Travel:
For the second year in a row, I didn't travel abroad. As mentioned, I visited Rizal, Pansol. I also went to Subic twice (in early October and then in late October). I almost went through the entire year without getting on a flight for the first time since 1997 but I ended up flying to Davao and Bacolod (where I got to see The Ruins) towards the end of 2015. All of these trips also allowed me to enjoy many food offerings from these places: Texas Joe's and Rachi Curry Corner in Subic, Kai Artisan s'mores in Davao, and 21 Restaurant, Ading's Pala-Pala, Calea, Felicia's, and Lord Byron's in Bacolod.

Dining:
I enjoyed some really good meals, both in old favorites as well as in new places. Sadly, two places I enjoyed a lot and that provided memorable family moments are now closed: Brasserie CiÇou and Prince Albert. I revisited Lola Cafe + Bar and Va Bene. Aside from the many places I tried in Bacolod, Subic, and Davao, I also got to try Gino's Brick Over Pizza, Kafe Batwan and a few restaurants in Century City Mall for the first time.

Entertainment:
I watched two musicals in Manila: Beauty and the Beast and Singin' in the Rain, both of which I really enjoyed. I also got to watch a lot of films during the year. Heneral Luna influenced me to learn more about Philippine history and visit local museums and memorials. My favorite film of the year? Star Wars: The Force Awakens.

Hobbies and interests:
My board game "addiction" has been fueled by the advent of places like Ludo and DyceNDyne. I taught some friends how to play 7 Wonders and Ticket to Ride. I also met new friends with whom I have played a lot of new games like Istanbul, Gallerist, Fresco, Splendor, Orleans, and a whole lot more. I also played a lot more volleyball this year (I even competed in a tournament at work for the first time in years). I put together my coin collection, read a book for the first time since 2012, bought my 500th voucher, and even started shredding my old, confidential documents. I also stayed at the Intercon while it was still open.

Blog milestones:
I celebrated my blog's 10th year anniversary (with a cake and with a summary of my local and international trips as well as some of my other favorite posts). I also achieved a personal record month in March. Aside from that, 2015 proved to be my most prolific year, and is the only year where I posted more than 200 times (202 to be exact). I certainly won't maintain this blogging pace in 2016 as i do plan to slow down just a bit but this year was pretty breakthrough for me in terms of blogging.

No comments: