Wednesday, July 29, 2015

Smokey Mountain Greatest Hits

I was looking for a particular CD at a shop recently. As I was looking for it (and I actually didn't find it), I stumbled upon a Smokey Mountain greatest hits album. I looked at the list of songs and it had all their hits from both batches of Smokey Mountain. At P250, I thought it was very good value for money and as it was the last remaining CD on the shelf, I promptly picked it up and purchased it.


My absolute favorite song from this band is "Kahit Habang Buhay" which was performed by the second batch comprised of Chedi Vergara, James Koronel, Zhar Santos, and Jayson Angangan. As I listened to it again, I remembered just how good this song it and how much I love it. I learned that Yeng Constatino and Sam Milby remade this song but for me, the original is still much better. Check it out here:

video uploaded in youtube by Brian Sanchez

I prefer the second batch of Smokey Mountain to the first (although the first was good too). I remember watching Chedi, Jayson, Zhar, and James win the grand prize at the 1992 Tokyo Musical Festival with their stirring performance of Paraiso. It's pretty steady for most of the song but the finale from 4:27 onwards is sensational.

video uploaded in youtube by csntdualcore

I'm glad I walked into that CD store that day. I've listened to my Smokey Mountain greatest hits CD a lot since then, and I've replayed Kahit Habang Buhay dozens of times already. :)

No comments: