Monday, July 27, 2015

90% Of People Can’t Pronounce This Whole Poem

I don't really know where this poem is originally from as I have seen it uploaded on several sites. I gotta say that while I was near-perfect, I didn't get everything right, mainly because some words such ague and Islington I hadn't heard of until I read this poem. Also, two new things I learned. First, Gertrude is apparently pronounced with a hard G sound instead of a J sound (I have an aunt named Gertrude and our family pronounces it with a soft G so it seems we have been wrong all this time but hey, I guess we have license to pronounce it however way we want LOL). Second, I learned about the word ere while working on crossword puzzles as a kid but I never knew how to pronounce it. I always thought it rhymes with here but apparently it sounds like air.

It's a pretty long poem so rather than copy-paste it here, I will just provide the link. Check it out.

90% Of People Can't Pronounce This Whole Poem - http://www.tickld.com/x/90-of-people-cant-pronounce-this-whole-poem-you-have-to-try-it

Here's a particularly interesting verse from the entire poem:

Shoes, goes, does. Now first say finger,
And then singer, ginger, linger,
Real, zeal, mauve, gauze, gouge and gauge,
Marriage, foliage, mirage, and age.


If you can't quite figure out how to pronounce some of the words here, you can click on this link to see a video of how the full poem should be properly read. :)

No comments: