Monday, March 09, 2015

Throwback: Bruges

(While going through my old blog posts, I realized that some of the most interesting things I've written about are my travel experiences. There are a few places I got to visit before I launched this blog back in 2005 and I thought it would be good if I write about those trips as well.)

Bruges is an enchanting city with a quaint, small-town vibe. It boasts of beautiful architecture set amidst lovely canals, giving it a medieval charm that attracts multitudes of tourists each year. It is not surprising then that the Historic Centre of Bruges is a UNESCO World Heritage Site.

One of the many canals around Bruges

One of the best places to see in this city's historic centre is the Markt or Market Square. It's pretty big as central squares go and it is surrounded by buildings whose medieval architecture has been preserved over the centuries.

Colorful houses along the Markt that feature medieval architecture

One of the most important buildings around this square is the Provinciaal Hof, or Province Court. Rebuilt in the 19th century with a neo-gothic architectural style. this building is where the provincial government of West Flanders used to meet.

Provinciaal Hof or Province Court

A statue of Jan Breydel and Pieter de Coninck stands at the center of the Markt. In 1302, Breydel and de Coninck led the Bruges Matins or massacre of the French garrison. This led to the Battle of the Golden Spurs, a revolution of the Flemish against the occupation of King Philip IV of France.

Statue of Jan Breydel and Pieter de Coninck in the middle of the Markt

The main monument in the Markt is the Belfry of Bruges. This structure stands 83 metres tall and the bell tower houses 47 bells that are still in use.


Visitors can pay an entrance fee (€8 for adults, according to their website) to enjoy the museum and climb the 366 steps to the top where you can enjoy breathtaking views of the city. (I certainly did.)

Beautiful view of Bruges from atop the Belfry of Bruges

A liesurely walk from the Markt is the Begijnhof or Béguinage of Bruges. It's a very tranquil spot in the city and walking through the tall trees and beautiful houses was an almost meditative experience.

Begijnhof or Beguinage of Bruges

Next to the Begijnhof is the picturesque Minnewater Lake.

Minnewater Lake

Another place to see in Bruges is the Church of Our Lady of Bruges. At 122.3 metres, it is the tallest structure in the city and the second tallest brickwork tower in the world.

View of the Church of Our Lady of Bruges from the Belfry

One of Michelangelo's artworks has found a permanent home in this church. His Madonna and Child sculpture stands right in the middle of the transept. It is said that this piece is the only sculpture created by Michelangelo to have left Italy while he was still alive.

Michelangelo's Madonna and Child

Transept where the Madonna and Child can be seen

I visited Bruges twice. The first time I was with Daday and Brian (Interesting experience: I parked my car along the street, paid the parking meter, then rushed frantically back to my car make sure I didn't exceed the time I paid for) and the second time was with Duncan and Amy. Both times I visited Bruges, I just spent the day walking around the city with my friends.


A large part of the wonderful experience I had here came from just meandering through the cobblestone streets and waiting to see what's around the corner. However, there are some sights in Bruges that I would have loved to see, such as Burg Square and its Town Hall, the Basilica of Holy Blood, Loppem Castle, and the Bruges Windmills.



Writing these throwback posts about Belgium and remembering my wonderful experiences in this beautiful country makes me want visit it again. I already have a thought in my head for that. Hopefully, I can make it a reality.

No comments: