Tuesday, February 17, 2015

Into the Woods

I finally got to see Into the Woods at the cinema. This is officially the first film I've seen in a movie theater this year. I knew it was based on the Broadway musical created by Stephen Sondheim but I didn't really know what happens in it. All I knew was that it combined several different fairy tales together, including Cinderella, Jack and the Beanstalk, Rapunzel, and Little Red Riding Hood. As I didn't want to be spoiled, I avoided reading the plot of the original musical and of the film itself.

As this is based on a Broadway show, you can clearly see that it is split in two acts, each with a very different vibe and tone. The first half is almost fun, playful, and hopeful, and fascinating, keeping viewers interested and wondering how things will unfold. The second half is a lot darker, not only in terms of the storyline but also visually, with the earlier kaleidoscopic panoramas replaces by gray, mist-filled scenes. Amidst all the singing, the plot provides a provocative glimpse into the human condition. It shows how easily we as people can become selfish, deceitful and even conniving when we are desperate, how we often pointedly blame others in times of crisis and misery, how we sometimes end up becoming what we despise, how fleeting our life is, and how we have an instinctive need to connect with others when faced with the prospect of desolation and isolation.

The acting was great and the singing was superb. It was cool seeing Meryl Streep (the Witch) share the screen again with her The Devil Wears Prada co-star Emily Blunt who did an excellent job as the baker's wife. Anna Kendrick (Cinderella) showcased her vocal ability and range more than she did in Pitch Perfect, Chris Pine (Prince Charming) positively surprised everyone, and the kids Daniel Huttlestone (Jack) and Lilla Crawford (Little Red Riding Hood) both sounded as if they've had decades of vocal training and experience.

As expected, Meryl Streep was fantastic. I mentioned this before but while I had already been impressed by her singing in the past, she took things to the another level and outperformed herself vocally in this film. Stephen Sondheim's songs are incredibly difficult to sing and she performs them brilliantly. I wrote about her rendition of "Stay with me" (not to be confused with the Sam Smith hit) a month ago. This time, check out "The Last Midnight":


video uploaded in youtube by DisneyMusicVEVO

I wouldn't say that Into the Woods is for everyone as it is filled with a whole lot of singing and the score doesn't really feature catchy songs. As I have not seen the musical, I have no basis for comparison. Taking it as it is, I thought it was great and definitely worth watching.

No comments: