Saturday, January 10, 2015

Tagaytay Trip year 3: Morielli's

The second new restaurant I got to try in Tagaytay during my last trip was Morielli's. I saw on tripadvisor that it was rated quite highly (as of this writing, it is ranked #2 among Tagaytay restaurants) so I decided to try it out for myself.


The restaurant serves primarily Filipino cuisine, including local classics such as sinigang, kare-kare, and even dinuguan and puto. Before looking at the menu online though, I actually thought it was an Italian restaurant because of its name. As it turns out, the name "Morielli's" comes from combining the names of the parents of the owners: Moriet and Gely.


As is my Tagaytay food trip tradition, I ordered a few items on the menu. The Sisig Quesadilla (P180) was a pretty cool fusion of Pinoy and Mexican food. The sisig was well-cooked and tasty and it worked really well with the grilled tortilla.



For my main course, I got the Lechon ala Morielli's (P240). It comes in three sizes, I think I got the small or medium portion (can't recall anymore LOL). This was a real winner. The meat was tender and delicious and the skin was perfectly crispy and crunchy. It actually looks (and tastes) more like bagnet or lechon kawali than traditional lechon.


I also ordered a bowl of Chicken Sopas (P98). It is listed under the "Comfort Food" section of their menu. This dish was relatively straightforward, nothing spectacular or flashy about it but it does taste like the chicken sopas I used to enjoy as a kid. I would probably have enjoyed it a tad more if it wasn't so extraordinarily hot the day I was there. :)


After my dining experience here, I can say that Morielli's did live up to the hype. While the interior is relatively simple, like an upscale canteen, the food is really good and the prices are quite affordable. It is also easy to find; it is right along the Tagaytay-Calamba road just a short distance from the Sta. Rosa-Tagaytay road. Reservations are recommended as this place does get full. (There's an online reservation app on their website but you can also call to book a table.) I would definitely recommend a visit to Morielli's.


Morielli's
Tagaytay- Calamba Rd. cor St. Francis Drive
Tagaytay City, Philippines

Globe/Viber: 0917 596 4400
Globe: 0915 322 3590
Smart: 0999 348 8048
Email: moriellisbnb@gmail.com

Restaurant hours: 7:30 AM to 10 PM

How to get there
Coming from Sta. Rosa, on the fork of the road, please turn left. After you pass a waiting shed, you will see St. Francis Drive's street marker. Morielli's is just behind it. Click here for directions.

No comments: