Sunday, December 28, 2014

Post-Christmas celebration

What an amazing last few days for me and my family. The key activity around which the rest of our weekend was planned was a trip to Corregidor. My mom had been wanting to take my family there for a while since my nephews had been learning about it in school. My mom thought that taking them to visit would hopefully make it real for them and help them understand Philippine history a lot more. (I will write more about our Corregidor trip in a separate post.)

Since a trip to this historic island would require us to be at the ferry terminal behind the Folk Arts Theatre before 7AM, I thought it would be better if we all stayed in a hotel room to make it easier for all of us to get to the pier on time. I decided to book two nights in Ascott Makati since staying there for only one night would mean that we would have to check out at 6AM and we wouldn't really be able to rest and fully enjoy our serviced apartment and its great location.

On our first night there, we had dinner in Saboten in Glorietta 5. It was my family's first time there (not mine) although the food here is similar to Yabu so the cuisine wasn't foreign to them anymore. Breakfast wasn't included in my room reservation and since we needed to be at the pier before 7AM the next day, I had to find a convenient place for us to have an early morning meal. I asked Bo's Coffee (right next to Saboten) what time they open and apparently they are open 24 hours a day. Cool! So at 5:45 AM the next day, we make our way to Bo's to get some food and coffee.

A couple of other firsts for me this weekend. After our Corregidor trip, I drove my family to BGC where we had an early dinner in P.F. Chang's. I had never eaten there before but when I saw a deal for this restaurant in Ensogo, I decided it might be a good time to try this place out. Our timing wasn't very good though since a lot of items were not available since they had a lot of guests the night before and they didn't have any deliveries to replenish their stock due to the holidays. Nevertheless, we had a pretty satisfying meal after a long and tiring day of touring. My other first was getting to have some pizza from S&R. I had been hearing about the S&R pizza for a long time from my friends who have tried it and my mom happened to shop there right before we checked in and she thought of getting some pizza for us. I will say that the pizza is pretty good and it is also really big! I had 2 1/2 slices for lunch and I felt stuffed after that.

Before checking out of Ascott, I thought it would be a good chance for me to bring my family to Tim Ho Wan for an early lunch since they do have a branch in Glorietta. Once the mall opened, my family and I made a beeline for this dim sum resto and when we arrived, a line was already forming outside. We were second in the queue and thankfully, there were still two tables available so we got seated almost as soon as we got there. Cool! A few seconds later and other people would have gotten that table (there must have been three or four groups of people behind us in line and that line formed almost instantly after we arrived). Imagine that, Tim Ho Wan had just opened and already they were full! I'm happy that my family have now gotten to try this new restaurant without having to wait in line for a really long time as most other people have to do. Oh and I also got a box of their Baked Buns with BBQ Pork for take-out but I realized as soon as I got home that I should have gotten more than just one box. :)

After checking out of Ascott, I drove my family home before taking my grandmother and my mom to the cemetery to visit my grandfather. Later that evening, I passed by a couple of my friends on my way home so I could drop off my Christmas presents. It was definitely a long and tiring few days but it definitely makes for a very memorable Post-Christmas weekend.

No comments: