Tuesday, November 11, 2014

Trying out Tim Ho Wan in Megamall

Tim Ho Wan started out as a dimsum hole-in-the-wall in Hong Kong that gained international acclaim by being the cheapest Michelin star restaurant in the world. It became a lot more accessible for its fans in the Philippines when it opened in SM Megamall back in May. Since then, the lines outside this restaurant have always been incredibly long. As I was in Megamall last weekend and I wasn't in a rush, I decided to brave the crowds and try it out for myself.

The long line outside Tim Ho Wan at around noon on Saturday

Tim Ho Wan became popular because of its legendary Baked Buns with BBQ Pork (P145). Each order comes with three buns. It's kinda like siopao but the difference is the bread: it's crusty, flaky, sweet, melt-in-your-mouth and very delicious!

Baked Buns with BBQ Pork (P145)

This is the must-have dish here and I think everyone who eats in this resto orders this. It definitely lived up to the hype!

A look at the BBQ pork filling

I wanted to try a couple of my personal dimsum favorites so I ordered the Steamed Prawn Dumplings (P160)...

Steamed Prawn Dumplings (P160)

...and the Bean Curd Skin Rolls with Pork and Shrimp (P120).

Bean Curd Skin Rolls with Pork and Shrimp (P120)

The prawn dumplings (hakaw or har gow) are good but not really different from what you can get in other Chinese restaurants. And strangely enough, I actually prefer the beancurd roll of Causeway to the Tim Ho Wan version (although I do love the fact that the Tim Ho Wan version has shrimp in it). I guess my palate isn't very sophisticated LOL. Nevertheless, it was an overall good meal with the baked buns being the highlight.

I was very lucky because I arrived at around 11 AM and despite the queue, I was given a table within around 2 minutes of me being in line. Wow! I guess it was because I was alone and almost everyone else was in bigger groups so when a table for 2 became available, I was the only one they could seat in it. I'm pretty sure that I will eat in Tim Ho Wan again and enjoy their amazing Baked Buns with BBQ Pork but that said, I will most likely not be willing to wait in line for more than 30-45 minutes to get a table here.

No comments: