Thursday, September 11, 2014

Goodbye, Mandarin Oriental Manila

The Mandarin Oriental Manila, which opened in Makati back in 1976, finally closed its doors last Tuesday, September 9 after 38 years of operation. I learned about this a couple of months ago and I mentioned it in a previous blog post so it's not a shock but it is still quite sad. I've stayed here before and I also dined in a couple of their restaurants several times, including Paseo Uno which had a pretty awesome buffet.

There's a really good article written by the last guest to check out of the hotel that's worth reading. He took a video of his final check out that you can see here:


video uploaded in youtube by amadeusiom

As is true with most goodbyes, this one was quite emotional. The article I shared does say that the Mandarin Oriental Hotel Group did a lot of work to try and help their staff find new jobs. There are also plans to open a new Mandarin hotel in 2020. Until then, I will say farewell to this Makati landmark and wish its ex-staff and management all the best.

No comments: