Sunday, June 22, 2014

My stupid mistake #2

Our department at work headed to Island Cove recently for our team building event. I decided to bring my car instead of riding in the bus because we needed a vehicle to bring our props and drinks to the event. I also wanted the freedom of being able to leave whenever I wanted to and not waiting for everyone else (last year, someone woke up massively late and we had to wait for him for quite a while). I asked some of my teammates if any of them wanted to join me and a few of them did.

Our event started at around 10AM and since it was still early, we couldn't check into our rooms yet. After lunch, a couple of my teammates needed to get their stuff from my car. It was at that point that I remembered a story my college friend told me that he knew someone who once left a CD on the dashboard of their car in the middle of the day and the immense heat caused the CD to warp. I don't know if that story is true or not but one of my favorite CDs was still in my player. We get to my car and as my friends took their stuff, I put the key in the ignition so I could turn the player on and pull out my CD. Thankfully, it was still okay. I stuff the disc in the case and put it inside the glove compartment so it wouldn't be in direct heat. Since my remote control lock wasn't working properly - battery issues maybe? - I lock my car from the inside and lift the door handle as I slam my door shut. Of course, it was at this point that I realized that my car key was still in the ignition! OMG!!!

The good news was that at least my engine wasn't running. The bad news was that my stuff, the stuff of my other teammate, our props for the evening program, and our drinks were all in my car. I asked resort security if any of them could help me unlock my car but after checking it out, they said they couldn't. It was already 2pm at that point and I realized that the most feasible option was for me to go back to Manila and get my spare key. As if things weren't challenging enough, my house key was also locked inside my car. Ugh!!!

I didn't want to hassle anyone else by asking them to do driver duty for me and I also didn't want to borrow someone else's car. So I took a baby bus from Island Cove to SM Bacoor and there I look for a taxi willing to drive me to Manila and back. Thankfully, my mom brought my spare house key with her and her office isn't so far from where I live. So I told my taxi driver to head to my mom's office first so I could pick up my spare house key before heading home to get my spare car key.

It was 4:30pm when I finally got back to Island Cove with my spare key; thankfully the traffic wasn't so bad. However, as the ignition in my car was kept on for a few hours, I was worried that my battery had already been discharged. True enough, later that night when I finally got our props and drinks out of my car, I checked if the engine would start and it didn't. Damn. I decided to worry about that the next morning since I didn't need to drive that night anyway.

I asked help again from resort security the next day, but this time to help jumpstart my car. It took a while for them to get jumper cables. We used the resort shuttle to help recharge my car battery and when I finally got my engine to start, my teammates and I hurriedly headed back home. Of course, we made sure that there would be someone driving back to Manila after us so that they could help us just in case my car ended up stalling along the road (thankfully, it didn't). I now make sure that I use my key to lock the door from the outside to make sure that I don't inadvertently lock it inside my car again. Of course, the best way to get everything sorted out is to have my car remote fixed. Hopefully I can get that sorted out soon.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

We get our share of these "days". =) Hopefully there won't be a lot.