Sunday, January 12, 2014

Tagaytay Food Trip 2: Java Jazz Coffee

I learned about Java Jazz Coffee from tripadvisor, where it is currently ranked #3 among restaurants in Tagaytay. After reading more about this place, seeing pictures online, and checking out reviews, I knew I had to visit. And might I say, it definitely lived up to the hype.


The main thing that drew me here was the fact that there is an art gallery inside. The Java Jazz Coffee Shop Blogspot calls it "Sining sa Sahig" or "Art on the Floor". The low, angled ceiling doesn't provide a lot of space on which to hang the artwork so several paintings are just standing on the floor and set against the wall.


It's a small restaurant so there were only a couple dozen pieces on display, but that meant that I was able to spend more time carefully looking at and appreciating each painting. I didn't ask but I'm guessing that at least some of the pieces there are for sale.


I already had a few cups of coffee earlier in the day so while in Java Jazz, I decided to order the Tsokolate - Eh! (P85). This is pure tablea chocolate served without milk. I like my Filipino chocolate to be more on the bitter, strong-flavored side and I found this to be a bit too sweet but it was still pretty good. I paired it with a chocolate chip cookie (which cost around P20-25, I think).


There were a lot of Filipino sweets for sale there so I decided to buy a box of chocolate-coated cookies-and-cream flavored polvoron. I ate one there and I took home the rest. It was my first time to try chocolate-coated polvoron and despite my sugar overload that afternoon, I quite enjoyed it.


Adding to the quirkiness and cool-factor of this restaurant was the fact that the men's toilet featured some pretty interesting (and appropriate) art. :)


I spent the afternoon here soaking in the art and ambience, reading a book, and listening to classical music on my ipod (how cultured! LOL). Java Jazz Coffee is a perfect hideaway where you can escape from the hustle and bustle of the city while enjoying a cup of coffee or hot chocolate (their menu also includes a variety of other items such as pasta and rice bowls). I can understand why this place has been rated very highly and I am now a fan myself. I am definitely visiting Java Jazz again.


Java Jazz Coffee
442 Tagaytay-Calamba Road, Sungay West
Tagaytay City, Cavite, Philippines
Tel. No. (046)8602699

Directions: From the Tagaytay-Sta. Rosa Road, turn left onto Tagaytay-Calamba road heading towards Picnic Grove and People's Park. Java Jazz Coffee will be on the left side of the road, right before Ina ng Laging Saklolo Church, Keni Po, and T House.

No comments: