Thursday, January 23, 2014

Austria!

Three things compelled me to write about this now. After posting my 1,000th blog post and re-reading my Iceland trip back in 2007, I realized I never got to write about my succeeding trip to Austria. Then I just had dinner with my friend Anne and her Austrian husband Georg (both of them live in Austria now). Then it's Throwback Thursday. So it's a perfect time for me to finally complete writing about this trip that I took back in 2007.

Vienna State Opera

I didn't write about this back then because when I was looking through my pictures, I realized that there was a smudge on my camera lens which resulted in ugly spots appearing on half of my photos. I tried to clean them up myself using photoshop but it was slow and laborious and I wasn't happy with my output. I finally decided to just "outsource" this effort by asking a friend with the right skills to help me out. Now that I have a full set of clean photos, it was time to write about it.

Mirabell Gardens, Salzburg

While this trip happened 6 1/2 years ago, I apparently remember it in pretty good detail. I didn't automatically remember the names of a few of the places I visited (I didn't write them down at the time either) but somehow I easily remembered where they were on the map and from there I was able to identify what those places were.

Statue of Mozart, Vienna

My initial plan was just to go to Vienna and spend 3 days there. After all, my holiday would be a combination of a trip to Iceland and Austria.

Gloriette in Schönbrunn Palace, Vienna

However, after reading more and more about this beautiful country, I decided I wanted to go to Salzburg as well.

Residenzbrunnen fountain, Salzburg

After all, I am a big fan of The Sound of Music and I thought it would be good for me to visit some of the locations where the film was shot.

The gazebo where "Sixteen Going on Seventeen" in The Sound of Music was filmed

I eventually spent almost six days in Austria - about three days each in Vienna and Salzburg. I will be writing in detail about my trip to these cities in the next few posts.

No comments: