Monday, October 28, 2013

A "scary" night at the movies

I had no interest to watch the 2013 version of Carrie but my friend Jane really wanted to see it and couldn't really find anyone to watch with her so I agreed to be her companion. I had some plans in Greenbelt earlier in the evening so we agreed to watch the last full show in Greenbelt 3. As it turns out, I was right in not really wanting to see it. While the effects were good and Julianne Moore put in an impressively solid performance as Carrie's abusive mother, I thought the film didn't really leave any strong impact. I thought that Chloƫ Grace Moretz, who played Carrie, was over-the-top. I can understand that she didn't want to do an imitation of Sissy Spacek's scary performance in the original 1976 film but I felt she didn't need to go that extreme.

I can't really say it was a horror flick since I didn't find it scary at all (not sure if it was meant to be), but I did have a truly frightening experience that night. As Jane and I were standing outside the cinema, I realized I didn't have my wallet with me! It must have slipped out my pocket as I was watching the movie. I rushed back into the theater but I couldn't find it in the area where we sat. As I was getting a bit frantic, I thankfully saw it lying on the floor a few feet away. Whew!

To add to the uniqueness of the evening, I decided to swing by J.Co Donuts 20 minutes before the movie just to see if there was a line. For the first time ever, there was almost no line! There were only three people there so I decided to go and get two donuts and a cup of coffee. It was the only time ever that I went to J.Co and got only two donuts instead of a full box. (Of course, it doesn't make sense to fall in line for half an hour to get just a couple of donuts so the only way I would get less than a dozen is if I don't have to wait more than a few minutes.) Cool!

No comments: