Monday, April 01, 2013

Legoland Malaysia

One important thing to note about Legoland Malaysia - it is really geared towards young kids. There aren't any scary or thrill rides here so if that's what you are looking for, then you might not enjoy. However, if you are going with your family and you have kids with you, it does become a very good family experience.


Actually, Legoland is my ideal amusement park because I'm not a fan of scary rides so kiddie versions are  perfect for me. :) I do have to say that the big drop in the first coaster we got on, Project X, was thrilling enough haha.


The Dragon, another coaster, is a longer ride than Project X but is also lot of fun. (I have to say that I really love the Canon camera I got for myself and my mom last year. Pretty awesome zoom and it can take steady shots even when the target is in motion!)


What I also love about Legoland is that there are so many great photo ops. You have so many sculptures built out of Lego blocks that are scattered all over the park. I can only imagine how much careful planning and time and effort went into building each of these Lego sculptures.


Miniland is an incredible display of replicas of different cities in Asia built out of Lego blocks. Among the popular landmarks featured here are the Taj Mahal in India, the Merlion Statue in Singapore, and the Petronas Towers in Kuala Lumpur. The pirate section is also pretty amazing, with moving boats and firing cannons. Naturally, we had to look for the Philippines. The city they chose to replicate is Bolinao in Pangasinan (interesting that I was just in Bolinao a couple of months before our trip to Legoland).


There are a lot of interactive activities too. The Kids Power Tower is not your typical free-fall ride. You use the rope to pull yourself to the top (it's not heavy at all) and then you also have to release yourself to drop all the way back to the bottom (it's not a scary drop). Then you do it all over again until time is up.


And while we are talking about rides that involve dropping, the big surprise for me was the Beetle Bounce. This ride simply bounces people up and down. Looking at it, I thought it was a bit boring. But since my nephew wanted to get on, I decided to join him. As it turns out, it was actually a lot of fun! And I'm not the only adult who enjoyed. Groups of adults who tried it before I did all seemed to be laughing as they were bounced up and down. Who knew a simple ride like this would be enjoyable?



One of the most fun family activities is Rescue Academy. You need at least three people for this. Two people will move the police truck or fire engine using a pump. When you reach the end of the (short) road, everyone gets off and this time, two people have to pump water out of the fire hydrant while another person aims the water guns at the "burning" building. Once the fire is out, everyone gets back on the truck and heads back to base. There is a "coach" on the sidelines who shouts out the instructions and give encouragement, making it even more fun.


It was a very hot day when we were there so thankfully we signed up for Lego Mindstorms once we arrived. The earliest session available was at 2:15 PM, and initially we weren't keen on having to go back. But thankfully we did, because by mid-afternoon, it was so hot that doing something indoors was the most logical thing to do and it allowed us to stay cool. Participants are given tasks that they need their robot to do and they use a computer to control the robot. My nephews had so many questions but maybe it was a good thing because they ended up being the first two to finish. Cool!


Another thing I absolutely love about Legoland is that the photos taken of you from the different rides are available for download once you purchase the photo. This saves me the effort of having to scan pictures that we purchase. Here's one of the photos from the Lost Kingdom that I downloaded:


 Of course, our trip to Legoland wouldn't be complete if we didn't buy some Lego. I owed my nephews Christmas gifs so I got them one each, and I got CJ one more for his birthday. We were also incredibly lucky that there didn't seem to be a huge crowd in Legoland when we were there. We barely had to wait to get on the different rides, which meant we got to get on many rides at least a couple of times. After we left the amusement park, one of my nephews said he wanted to go back. I guess I should start setting aside money for a return trip. :)

No comments: