Sunday, July 15, 2012

International Shopping Spree

So I've turned into one of those people who travel abroad just to shop. Scary. Or well, not necessarily...

I wrote about my need for a massive gadget update several months ago. I have been at odds with my personal laptop for the better part of a year now. My recent trips to Batanes and Cebu/Bohol (which I have yet to blog about) have emphasized my need for a new camera but it was also in these trips that I discovered that my mom's camera now has the same 'smudge' problem that my camera has. Clearly, I needed to get my new equipment ASAP.

I did some research online and I finally decided what laptop and cameras to get. However, I know that electronics are cheaper in Singapore than they are here. So I asked a couple of my friends over there if they could find out how much these items cost in SG. As it turns out, if I bought all items over there, I would save P17,000. That is massive! I quickly look at airfare costs and I was able to find a flight that would set me off by about P8000. Even if you add the airport tax of P1,620 and the passenger service fee o f P550 and I'd still have a lot of savings. Clearly, this was a good enough reason to fly to Singapore.

It took me all of three hours in Funan to get my new gear. While the only freebie that came with my laptop was a carrying case, the cameras came with a lot of add-ons. I also got to claim a pretty substantial GST refund at the airport. Cool!

Add to this my new phone and my gadget update is now complete. :)

*****

Of course, my exceedingly short trip to SG, while primarily meant for shopping, wouldn't have been as great if I didn't get to meet up with any of my friends. Amazingly enough, in just 48 hours, I managed to meet up with six sets of friends: Kog, Ina, and Anna for a very late dinner and drinks on Thursday night, Majel for Friday lunch, Che, Tonette, Om, Anna, Tim, and Alvin for Friday dinner, Ben and his mates for Friday night drinks, Denise and Kleng (and her family) for Saturday brunch, and Sarah, Dawid and their daughter Ania (and Anna again) for Saturday early afternoon coffee. "That has to be one of the most jampacked personal trips I have taken. But it's amazing how so many of my friends were able to make time to meet up despite the very short notice. I am one very lucky guy. :)

No comments: