Monday, May 28, 2012

Tagaytay Food Trip: Restaurant Verbena

I arrived in Tagaytay on Monday afternoon and decided that I would have dinner that night in Restaurant Verbena, located in the lobby of Discovery Country Suites.


A food trip only makes sense when you try a few things on the menu, so I knew I wanted to get an appetizer and a main course. You can check out their menu from munchpunch here (I can't find an official page for the resto apart from the Discovery Country Suites website).

I opted to start with the Bacalao & Chilean Sea Bass Cakes in the style of Spanish 'Croquetas' with Baby Greens and Caper Remoulade (P295). Quite pricey for only three cakes but they were pretty good.



I am so happy that they had a Verbena Sampler Plate on the menu because it meant I could try smaller portions of three different things that I really wanted to try: Moroccan Marinated Lamb Chops, Grilled Norwegian Salmon with Arugula- Mushrooms Salad and US Beef Short Ribs "Goulash".*


This dish was an absolute 'wow'! Everything on that plate was cooked perfectly. The combination of the items made for a great gastronomic experience, with the lightness and flakiness of the salmon providing an excellent contrast to the strong flavors of the lamb and the goulash as well as the richness and creaminess of the mashed potato. The only thing I wasn't crazy about was the fried feta cheese, but overall this main course sampler was a complete joy to eat and has now been elevated to one of my most memorable meals ever!


I can understand why Restaurant Verbena has been rated quite highly. Apart from the great food, the ambience is cozy yet vibrant and service is superb. It is definitely worth a visit.


I did check the munchpunch menu and noticed that it was updated last November 25, shortly after my visit there. The Bacalao and Chilean Sea Bass cakes don't seem to be available anymore. The Verbena Sampler Plate has a slight difference: the salmon and the beef ribs goulash are still there but they have replaced the Moroccan Marinated Lamb Chops with BBQ Lamb Baby Back Ribs. If I do visit Restaurant Verbena again, I think I'd still try the sampler. :)

*****

Restaurant Verbena
Discovery Country Suites
300 Calamba Rd, Brgy San Jose, Tagaytay City
(046) 413-4567

Directions: from the Tagaytay-Sta. Rosa Road, turn right into Tagaytay-Calamba Road. Discovery Country Suites will be on the left side of the road (lakeside) and you should see it before you reach the rotonda.

No comments: