Saturday, May 12, 2012

And with that, summer is over.

I remember as a kid how the weather throughout the year was fairly predictable. Summer was March to May and it wasn't until June that the rains would come. The rainy season would then hang about until September, and as Christmas would draw near, the skies would remain clear for the most part.

This is clearly not the case anymore. The last dozen or so years have shown that the heavier typhoons come in during the 'ber' months: Sendong, Pedring, Juan, Quiel, Pepeng, Ondoy, and Milenyo all hit the Philippines in very late September (20 onwards) to December.

But apparently, not only does the rainy season end later now, it also starts earlier. Practically every afternoon and evening this week, we've had some rain. We haven't even gotten to mid-May yet and now summer is over. Thankfully, I was able to go on my island holidays already (Batanes and Cebu/Bohol which I have yet to blog about...) so at least I don't feel too bad that summer has been cut short.

*****

And while we are on the topic of summer, I find it interesting to see the traffic enforcers wearing shorts. While it's not the most flattering look, it is definitely a lot more comfortable. I always felt bad for those public servants who have to stand under the intense heat of the sun while wearing those heavy traffic enforcer clothes. At least now, with the shorts, they get a bit of a reprieve from the heat. Whoever thought of doing that deserves a pat on the back. Function over form isn't always the best way to go, but in this case, I think it is.

No comments: