Wednesday, April 04, 2012

The Hunger Games

Four months into the year and I finally make my way to the cinema for only the third time in 2012. I was hearing such a lot of buzz and hype about 'The Hunger Games' that I told myself I needed to see it, no matter what. And I did.

I actually thought the movie is really well-made, apart from the fact that I'm not a fan of the shaky camera style of filming that is used in some scenes. The performances of the cast were pretty solid overall - what would you expect when the film is headlined by Jennifer Lawrence who already has an Oscar nomination for best actress tucked under her belt? - and the characters for the most part were believable.

I guess the main problem I have with 'The Hunger Games' is the premise. *** Spoiler Alert *** Stop reading now if you don't want to know more about the movie. At the onset of the games, one boy and one girl from each district have to be offered up to join, and of all 24 participants, only one will survive and be crowned the winner. This essentially means that all other 23 contestants will have to die, whether in the hands of other contestants or from being unable to survive out in the woods. The creepy thing as well about it is that kids aged either 12 or 18 are put up for the contest. 12??? I think therein lies my inability to suspend disbelief; I can't imagine upperclassmen wanting to watch kids kill each other.

The Hunger Games is based on a novel written by Suzanne Collins and is the first book in The Hunger Games trilogy. So two more movies will be coming out. I've checked out the plot synopsis of the two other books that follow it - Catching Fire and Mockingjay - and I have to say that they have very heavy themes as well. I'm still curious to see how the books translate into the big screen so I will be watching the second and third installments when they come out.

No comments: