Tuesday, March 06, 2012

Disliked. Twice.

I put up videos of myself online for my friends who would like to see certain performances again. A few years ago, I uploaded four songs I performed in the wedding of my friend Stelz. Among the songs I performed was Kenny Lattimore's "For you". It's a beautiful song, but it isn't all that popular given that it didn't really break into the mainsteam. So imagine my surprise when my cover of this song turned out to be the most viewed of all videos of me performing (it's my 2nd most viewed vid; top honors go to my video of Elliott Yamin performing 'Free' in Market! Market! back in 2007).

Most of my personal vids average about 200-300 hits (so pretty much me and my friends LOL) but my performance of 'For you' has more than 1,800. Which means that this video has probably been viewed by stalwart fans of the original. Which probably explains why I ended up getting two 'dislike' votes. There are two 'likes' as well, but I had to ask a couple of friends to 'like' it for me to compensate for the negative votes LOL. If you are interested to see my most disliked video, check this out:



Thinking about it now, what does it really matter if people dislike my vids? I mean, I put it up for my friends so if random people happen to run into my youtube channel and not like something on it, then it is definitely their option to toss in a negative vote (or heck, who knows, maybe my friends themselves actually disliked the vid hahaha). After all, people with an online presence really do put themselves out there for anyone to see. As such, they also become subject to opinions, praise, and criticisms from strangers from all over the world. You certainly won't always like what people will think or even say about you. (I had one person leave a comment years ago that my blog was no longer interesting - so I guess at some point it was haha - and they wouldn't read it again. I didn't even realize strangers were reading this blog since I update it mainly so that I can direct my friends to it when I want them to check out what I have been up to.) As such, the next time any of my vids get a 'dislike', I won't bother asking my friends to like my vids to counteract it with a 'like' vote.

No comments: