Saturday, February 18, 2012

Car maintenance mishap

I brought my car to the casa for a 40,000 km check-up. These regular check-ups normally take a few to several hours - you are sure to get your car within the day - so I certainly wasn't expecting to get the call I did late afternoon. I thought I was gonna be told that the car was ready for pick-up. Instead, I was shocked to find out that one of the guys working on it accidentally hit the front bumper against something, leaving it badly scratched.

They would obviously cover the cost of repairing the bumper but the sucky thing was that they weren't initially giving me any options. They just said I could pick it up in its damaged state and return it the week after (I brought it there on a Friday). After an initially calm conversation that didn't seem to be going anywhere, I started to get riled up and demanded that they prioritize repairing my car and have it ready the next day. Initially they weren't committing to have it ready on Saturday, but I pressed them and said they can't leave me without a vehicle for an entire weekend after causing damage to it. It's a sad state of affairs, but I have found that often, you only get the help and service you need when you get angry.

I shared this story with my colleagues over dinner that evening, and the common sentiment was that the casa should have given me a service car since it was their fault that I was left without a vehicle. Good point. Next time this happens - although I certainly hope it never does! - I know what to ask. In any case, I did get the car at 5:30pm on Saturday, very shortly before the casa closed for the weekend. At least the repair job was done pretty well.

No comments: