Friday, February 17, 2012

Back at the cinema

Before 2012, the last time I was in a movie house was *gasp* back in June when I watched Transformers 3: Dark of the Moon. I somehow managed to find time this year to watch a couple of films in the theater.

The first was 'Mission: Impossible - Ghost Protocol', the 4th installment of the Mission: Impossible film franchise. This has to be one of the best action movies I have seen in recent history (or maybe ever). It's a pretty fast-paced and intense, but what made it really good for me were the bits of comedic relief provided by Simon Pegg. It's sometimes tough to watch movies filled with a relentless stream of heart-pounding moments but MI4 provides enough brief pauses that allow you to chuckle - and breathe! - and thus enjoy the movie a lot more. The great thing about Simon Pegg's performance though is that he is funny when he needs to be but he is equally believable when he needs to be serious.

I also got to see 'Chronicle'. I'm a sucker for superpower films so when an evening meeting didn't push through and I found myself with a couple of extra hours, I decided to watch a movie and ended up picking this movie about a group of teenagers who somehow find themselves developing telekinesis. I'm not a fan of the "handycam" style of filming because it tends to make me dizzy, but despite this small hiccup, I found the film to be quite compelling. Character development was done exceptionally well, and it was actually quite interesting to see the kind of paths that people can take when they find themselves in a position of power and control.

Hopefully this trend of me finding time to watch movies in the theater again continues the rest of the year.

No comments: