Tuesday, January 03, 2012

2011 Year in Review

Before I get fully immersed in 2012, let's take a quick look back at some highlights of 2011.

Travel!
I am thankful I once again had several opportunities to travel. Here are the places I got to visit in the last year:

SingaporeSagada
Boracay

South Korea
Plus my food trip in Tagaytay that I still have to blog about.

Loss
2011 has also been a year of loss. I lost my grandfather, Tatay, shortly before Christmas. Back in August, I lost Mama Guading, who was my family's maid for 55 years. I also lost Uncle Vie (my lola's sister but we still call him Uncle), Tito Chito, and Tita Renee.

Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR)
The CSR Initiative that I lead at work continues to thrive with 18 company-wide projects executed and 4 performed in my department. Amazing! Some key projects:

International Coastal Cleanup Day
Tree planting
Amazing Race for kids

We also kicked off a program to reduce the paper cup usage at work and replacing them with reusable mugs. We also ran a fund-raising project that generated enough money to provide a full scholarship to a deserving student.

Weddings
I also attended two weddings, both of which I had some kind of participation in. During Celine's wedding, I sang 'Bless the broken road'. In Tim and Steph's wedding, I choreographed a dance number performed by the couple and their entourage.

Performances
I didn't get to perform in a lot of company events this year because I couldn't commit to the rehearsal schedules, but my office bandmates still slotted me in for a few singing engagements. Looking back, all the songs I performed were quite difficult to sing. Not sure if I did them any justice but I'm glad I got to perform A-Ha's 'Take on me', Queen's 'Don't stop me now', Stevie Wonder's 'Superstition', Lenny Kravitz's 'Are you gonna go my way?', and Journey's 'Don't stop believing'.

Entertainment
Not a lot of experiences for me on this front, but I am happy I got to see Don Quixote and Varekai while it was on its limited run here in Manila. I'm still keeping my fingers crossed that more Cirque du Soleil shows find their way to this part of the world.

Fun
Apart from lots of time spent with family and friends, I also got to play a few new games: Just Dance on Wii, Go Go Balls, Monopoly Deal, and Agricola.

New stuff
Probably the biggest new thing for me last year was my introduction to, and high usage of, online deal sites. By my last count, I've purchased 120 discount vouchers online and I've used almost all of them. Another new experience for me was a food trip in Mercato.

Hopefully 2012 can continue to bring lots of great experiences that I can enjoy with the people I love. :)

No comments: