Sunday, October 09, 2011

Kathy and John's wedding

Kathy is one of the most interesting people and unique individuals I know. So when she got married to John (actually, she got married to him in Holland earlier but they of course needed to have a Philippine leg of their wedding for the folks here who couldn't fly to Europe), it was no surprise that their wedding would be different and very memorable.

First off, Kathy's wedding dress wasn't your traditional white gown. It was a take on the traditional Filipino 'terno' complete with butterfly sleeves. Also, similar to her sister Ching's wedding (Ching is also a really good friend of mine), the UP Singing Ambassadors performed during the church ceremony as well as during dinner. Their performance in the small chapel overlooking the Taal lake was just otherworldly so we had to force ourselves not to clap since it was a church ceremony and not a concert. Yet.

The most unique bit though was when everyone was asked to step outside the chapel for the traditional group photos with the newlyweds. Instead of doing it at the altar, we had it next to a specially decorated jeepney! The couple even asked those of us who could to go on top of the jeepney. This was really one of the most unique moments ever in a wedding that I attended.

photo courtesy of Joel H. Garcia


We headed to the clubhouse for the reception. We were served drinks and cake as we waited for dinner to be served. Dessert before the meal? Only in Kathy's wedding. :) I have to say though that the cake was absolutely delicious! It was so good I was tempted to eat a lot more but I needed to make room for the main meal. :) The cake-cutting ceremony actually happened before the reception officially started. The wedding cake was in the shape of a ship out at sea, to commemorate the place where John and Kathy met for the first time. Before the took a slice out of it, they lit the sparkler attached to one end of the cake. Cool! Champagne was served as the wedding toast was done shortly after the cake was cut. We were then asked to head to our tables as the program commenced.

After a couple of very heartfelt speeches, we were asked to get food from the massive buffet. Every item in the buffet was amazing and I just truly wished I had three stomachs so I could eat a lot more food. And on top of the cake I had earlier, there now was a huge spread of other desserts. Given that John is Dutch, the buffet had a few European-themed items like Hungarian Goulash and Sacher Torte. My mouth is watering as I think back to those great items. Free-flowing wine was served to the guests and the waiters even left a bottle on each table.

The UP Singing Ambassadors performed for the crowd yet again, and this time we didn't hold back on the applause. A few people, including myself, even gave them a standing ovation once their performance was done. They sang a stirring rendition of Sunrise, Sunset (from Fiddler on the Roof) for the father-daughter dance and it was moving to see both Kathy and her dad very emotional. The choreographed first dance almost didn't happen as John ended up with a knee problem from all the kneeling he had to do in church but they managed to do it. Probably one of the most memorable moments during the wedding was the speech given by Kathy's yaya. I swear, Kathy's yaya gave one of the best speeches in a wedding I have heard. Part roast, part tribute, it had all the elements of a great speech. And it was delivered very naturally. (I actually started thinking about my own Mama Guading as I listened to Kathy's yaya speak...)

The reception ended at around 9pm (and I was so tempted to ask to take home leftovers haha). Some of the folks there were planning to head out for more drinks but it was a Sunday and I had work the next day so I had to beg off. Regardless, it really wasa truly memorable of two great people. Congratulations, Kathy and John!

No comments: