Sunday, September 18, 2011

Animal haven

For the last few year - or has it been several already? - we have been taking care of one cat at home. There used to be a lot more of them but we realized we couldn't take care of all of them well enough so my brother gave all but one to a friend of his. My nephews named our cat Petal, and for the most part, she has been our only family pet. Recently, however, my grandparents' dogs gave birth, and both my nephews wanted a puppy each. So now we have Petal the cat and our two dogs, named Cheetah and Wolf.

A couple of weeks ago, as I was parking my car, I saw Petal and was horrified to see that she had a deep, nasty wound in her neck. It was so bad that some of the skin was hanging from her neck. My brother knows a veterinarian so I told him to take our cat to the vet the next day. Unfortunately, it's impossible to keep a stray cat still and with Petal moving in and out of the house, my brother couldn't bring her to see a vet. A week later, Petal's wound was still deep and it didn't look like it was healing. I was deeply worried now that infection would set in and she would die, and while I know that pets do have to die at some point, I just didn't want her to die this way. I immediately drove to a nearby vet to ask them if they did home visits, but they said it would be better for me to bring our cat there since they would most likely have to administer antibiotic through a needle or something, and with our cat always moving in and out of the house, there was no guarantee she would be home if the vet did a house visit.

So I rush to the mall and looked desperately for a cage. I found one in Animal House that cost P1,400 but I couldn't find any other cage so I decided to get it. The next day, my brother texted me while I was at work to say that he was able to bring Petal to the vet. She was sedated and given an antibacterial bath, and the vet prescribed a pretty expensive ointment (the vet said it can also be used for people, actually). When I finally saw Petal a week after, her wound was almost fully healed. Thank God!

I later on found out that my cage helped save the life of one of our puppies and helped the other one get better. It was that same week when we took Petal to the vet that our dogs may have eaten something that caused them to be sick. Cheetah must have eaten more of it because he was a very active dog and one night, he just looked completely despondent, almost near-death. My brother was able to bring Cheetah to the vet as well using my cage and he was given three injections that got him back to full health. Wolf, on the other hand, just seemed to throw up a bit and was given just one injection.

A week or two later, someone dumped a kitten next to our house. As we didn't really have the capacity to take care of another animal (much less keep a newborn kitten away from two dogs that might rip it apart), we kept the kitten in the same cage for a night before my brother brought it to one of his friends.

So while that cage may have cost P1400, the fact that it was used to save the life of two or our pets, helped the other get better, and was used to bring another animal to a place where it would be taken care of, I am happy I bought it and it was well worth every cent.

No comments: