Sunday, July 31, 2011

Libero

I played the role of libero for the very first time in my life in my volleyball game today. According to wikipedia, a libero is a player specialized in defensive skills who cannot block or attack the ball when it is entirely above net height. When the ball is not in play, the libero can replace any back-row player, without prior notice to the officials. This replacement does not count against the substitution limit each team is allowed per set, although the libero may be replaced only by the player whom they replaced.

While the libero is generally the most skilled defensive player on the team, my assignment to this role came about because most of the other players in my team are much, much better attackers than I am LOL. Since our attackers have to jump a lot to either block or spike, the team felt a libero was needed to give at our attackers some rest each time they rotated to the backline.

The bad thing about the libero, apart from the fact that you cannot attack the ball, is that you cannot serve either. Interestingly enough though, I ended up playing a lot in each of the three sets we played so the fact that I never served is not really bad given the amount of time I spent on court.

No comments: