Tuesday, August 03, 2010

My brother's birthday

My brother Clemence celebrated his birthday today so I suggested that since my nephews get out of school at around 3:45pm, they could just head to the Ortigas area and we could all have dinner at around 6pm. I suggested that we meet up in Shangri-La Mall so that my nephews could hang out in Quantum if they go their early.

As it turns out, we all arrive there around the same time. We ended up going to Sumo Sam. My nephew CJ looked through the menu and suggested that we get "The Arena", a platter that contains served with gyoza, beef yakitori, oyster teppan, mixed tempura, chicken teriyaki, tuna sashimi, salmon sashimi, yasaitame, kani sashimi, and Japanese fried rice.


picture taken from the Sumo Sam facebook page

CJ suggested "The Arena" because he wanted the kani sashimi. Since this platter is good for four, we also ordered gyoza (half of them fried and the other half steamed), seafood yakiudon, and another bowl of Japanese rice.

When our food arrived, CJ tried even the tuna sashimi - he liked the first bites and took another one then decided it wasn't to his liking - squid sashimi (or was it cuttlefish?) which he enjoyed. The interesting thing was that both CJ and my other nephew Ciera enjoyed the oyster teppan! I myself am not a big fan of oysters but the oyster teppan they served was actually quite good and well seasoned. Ciera even said that his favorite dishes were the gyoza and the oyster. This just proves that my nephews tend to prefer "adult food" to kids' food. (I mean, they'd pick fish and chops and pasta with pesto sauce over fried chicken and spaghetti on any given day!)

After dinner, we did end up going to Quantum. I tried the ball drop game and my ball luckily dropped into the 75-point hole, thus earning my 75 tickets. CJ was even luckier as his ball dropped into the Jackpot hole, earning him 100 tickets. A lot more arcade games later and we called it a night. My mom and my grandfather are celebrating their birthdays in a few days so we will be celebrating again on Sunday. Am definitely looking forward to that.

No comments: