Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Frost/Nixon

I just recently watched the Oscar-nominated film 'Frost/Nixon' and I must say, if you have a chance to see it, go see it!

I got a DVD of Frost/Nixon either last Christmas or on my last birthday since I put it in my wish list and one of my friends - I believe it was Anna - gave it to me. I hadn't gotten around to watching it in the last few months because whenever I watch smart, intellectual and critically-acclaimed films, I need to be in a specific frame of mind to enjoy it. If I haven't properly psyched myself to watch these kinds of films, I may end up not fully appreciating them which I don't want to happen.

So I finally watched my 'Frost/Nixon' DVD and it was incredible! We all know how the film would turn out in the end but the way the plot unfolded and the pace at which it did, amidst all the conflicts and difficulties faced by the characters and how Frost and Nixon ended up getting into a stunning duel, kept me totally engaged from start to the very powerful climax. There is no question that Frank Langella got into character as his portrayal of Nixon was immensely brilliant and definitely deserved an Oscar nomination (if not a win) for best actor (just too bad he was up against Sean Penn and Mickey Rourke) but the rest of the cast, led by Michael Sheen as David Frost, were all stellar as well.

'Frost/Nixon' exceeded my expectations, and given that it had so many positive reviews from critics and regular viewers alike, my expectations were already high to begin with. It's certainly one of the best films I have seen and I would definitely recommend it to anyone.

No comments: