Monday, June 02, 2008

Summer Ice Escapade

My mom and I took my nephews ice skating yesterday in the Megamall ice skating rink. The initial plan was that only my nephews would go on the ice - we would get them each an ice skating instructor who could help them learn how to skate. But as they getting ready, they asked me to join them. So I got myself a ice skating ticket and got on the ice with them.

I've only been ice skating three times in my life before. The first two times was in the Megamall ice skating rink when it was fairly new (which was way back in the early 90s). The third time was with my colleagues in Belgium about 5 years ago during my short stint there. I have mentioned in a previous post that I do know how to move on skates or rollerblades (not very well, but well enough) so I was certain I would find my footing fairly quickly.

In fact, I actually found my balance on the skates a lot more quickly than I was expecting. Especially considering the amount of time it took for me to find my balance on my rollerblades a couple of months ago. What made it even better was that in a fairly short period of time, my nephews both figured out how to move on skates too. They obviously had difficulty initially and couldn't really move without assistance. But after some time, the instructors taught my nephews how to walk - and to stop - on the ice and pretty soon they managed to get around without having to hold on to anyone. They did have their fair share of falls but they knew how to stand up whenever they fell.

I managed to take a few photos of my nephews while they were skating (I was comfortable and confident enough on my ice skates to actually carry around a camera with me and take photos) but I used my mom's camera so the photos aren't with me. In any case, it was a really good day. I'm pretty sure that we'll be ice skating again sometimes in the fairly near future.

No comments: