Thursday, May 01, 2008

Preparing for Marathon #5

I’m now starting to run again. Partly for health reasons (I have a lot of extra inches around my waist now and I don’t feel as sprightly nor as energetic as I have been in the past), partly for vanity and financial reasons (most of my clothes don’t fit me very well anymore and I refuse - and well have no money - to buy new clothes hehehe).

But the main reason is that I plan to run my fifth marathon in July or August (depending on when the Milo marathon will be held).

I haven’t really been running recently i.e. the last several months because my knee had been giving me problems during this time. So from around November to February I worked on strengthening my leg muscles by using the lower-impact elliptical machine instead of the treadmill. Then, a little more than month ago, I started running on the treadmill again, just to see if my knee would be okay. I began with 15 minute runs, went up to 20-25 minutes, then to 30 minutes. So far my knee was holding up pretty well. Then a couple of Saturdays ago, I ran 45 minutes straight.

And last Thursday, I decided to run for an hour. It wasn’t a very good run – I had to slow the treadmill down to a brisk-walking pace three times during that hour – but I was happy with the fact that I managed to will myself to stay on the treadmill for the full hour. I wanted to stop after about half an hour and again after 45 minutes but I think the thought that I had very little time left to prepare for my marathon kept me going. Okay that sounds more like a sense of urgency than discipline, but anything that will get me covering more distances during training is good. :)

No comments: