Sunday, February 11, 2007

[SWEDEN] My Swedish 'Amazing Race' experience

So I drove from Lund to Malmo today. Downloaded directions from mapquest then headed off. I had successfully navigated through the first 2/3 of the route with moderate ease, but when I got off exit 11/exit 16, it branched off into two roads and I mistakenly took the wrong road! (It's not easy driving while looking at directions on a piece of paper.) It felt like I was in the Amazing Race, sans the cameras and the partner who was supposed to look at the map and navigate.

There was no easy way for me to figure out how to get back on the right road, and there was no place I could stop either. So I kept on driving along the highway. Found an exit and turned into it, this time trying to look for a house. Drove around for a few more minutes before I spotted a house. Headed into the driveway and was greeted by a huge German Shepherd that was barking it's @ss off at me. Knocked on the door, and an old lady opened it, but either she really couldn't speak English or she didn't want to have anything to do with a stranger knocking at her door. So I get into my car and head back on the road.

Drove up the road for a bit and into a bed and breakfast. This time, the people there were able to give me directions on how to get back. Thank God! In the end, I just lost an extra 10 minutes, although the fact that I was scared that I would end up completely lost made it feel a whole lot longer than that. Hopefully, I don't get lost the next time I go there.

No comments: