Thursday, February 01, 2007

[SWEDEN] I think I need to exercise

My trousers are telling me that, much to my dismay, my waist is getting larger. Damn!

It must be the fact that I now have a very sedentary lifestyle. I also think my body is trying to store as much fat as it can to protect me from the cold. Kinda sucks really. Especially since I haven't really been eating a lot. In fact, I've been eating a lot healthier since I got here. For one thing, I always have breakfast. Breakfast comes free with the hotel stay so it's been only a couple of times since I got here that I've missed what is supposed to be the most important meal of the day. Second, I am drinking a lot less softdrinks. One small glass during lunch another glass during dinner. Third, I'm eating smaller portions now.

I'm also eating a lot more fruits and vegetables. I always have a side salad during lunch. Mainly because everyone always has one and I don't want to be the only one who doesn't. And instead of all those donuts or pastries that I would normally have for merienda, to save on money, I always have a banana or orange or green apple (or some combination of those) because there always is a community basket of fruit in the pantry every day, and it saves me money to take some fruit instead of getting chocolates from the vending machine.

The only thing I'm doing right now that is more unhealthy is drinking a lot of coffee. About 6 small cups a day - one during breakfast, one or two before lunch, two in the afternoon, and one more when I'm back in my hotel room after dinner. Not the healthiest habit, I know. And maybe all the sugar in the coffee is more than making up for all the calories I save with all the healthy habits I've picked up. But in my defense, the cups of coffee I have aren't that big. I'd say about two of them match just one tall Starbucks Cafe Mocha. So when I think about it, I am probably having just as much coffee now as I used to.

Guess I really need to find myself a running path here and exercise a couple of times a week at least. No matter how bloody cold it is. =)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yep! People prefer to stay at home during winter. I can't keep my own gym schedule and jogging in the morning!:)