Monday, June 19, 2006

French Open recap

The French Open, tennis' 2nd Grand Slam of the year, concluded last week. Congratulations go out to Rafael Nadal who proved his utter dominance on clay by wiping out world #1 Roger Federer in the final. Congratulations also go out to Justine Henin-Hardenne, who was just as convincing in her title win over Svetlana Kuznetsova. It was an awesome fortnight of tennis. Would've been better though if the people I was rooting for won. I was hoping that Federer, Kuznetsova (or Clijsters), and the Bryan brothers would all win. Tough for me, I guess.

My favorite moment of the tournament though had nothing to do with the tennis being played. During the men's doubles final between the Bryan brothers and Jonas Bjorkmann and Max Mirnyi, the camera shot towards a large banner way up in the stands that said in big bold letters: "We miss you Steffi." And I just really realized how much I do miss watching Graf play. Time to pull out my Steffi tapes and relive the glory days then, I guess. =)

No comments: