Wednesday, June 08, 2005

The 21-day challenge begins

Today is the first day of our 21-day challenge. What exactly is it, you may ask? Well basically it's a program we have in the office where participants try to gain healthy habits and lose unhealthy ones, and as part of this you get free use of Gold's gym (well, free for the participants, but the company pays for it of course).

At the start of the challenge, you have to declare what you need to accomplish at the end of the 21 days. This means you either maintain your current weight, gain weight, or in my case lose weight. The company doctor checks your height, weight and body fat percentage before the start of the event and confirms whether your target goal is appropriate for you.

So what does that mean for me? Well, for starters, I need to consume only about 2000-2200 calories a day. That means smaller portions! To add insult to injury, all junk food (which includes sweets like cakes, brownies, pastries, and cookies.) So today, for breakfast I had cereal with low fat milk, for lunch I had a diet coke, a can of tuna, a cup of rice and a guava, and for snack I had another small box of cereal with low fat milk. Haven't had dinner yet (and boy am I HUNGRY!), but I think I can eat up to about 700 calories without going over.

I don't really think this is sustainable over the long run. However, one great thing about this free use of the gym is that we also get 10 free sessions with a personal trainer (which would otherwise cost a LOT of money) so I am now targetting to lose an inch or two around my waist and buff up my upper body and arms a bit. That way I can pull off the tight fitting shirts that I 'have' to wear during our gigs a little more. =)

1 comment:

Anton said...

good luck, christian! Although, I would argue you can pull off that fitting shirt thing anytime...