Tuesday, May 17, 2005

No one ever said it would be easy

Bukas Sarili had another Rummage Sale last Saturday. It was our first fundraiser this year and we actually managed to collect a lot of new stuff. So much in fact that when Tess, Vangie, Susie and I were sorting them, we decided to stop after an hour because it would have been too much work to sort everything. Besides, with the popularity of the ukay ukay nowadays, we would be selling even the nice stuff at prices much lower than what we used to price similar stuff.

Sadly though, we ended up raising a very small amount of money - virtually 15% of what sales made 2 years back. What's worse is that since we spent some money on streamers and flyers (which worked very well for us before), plastic bags for putting stuff in when they are purchased, and hiring people to sell and bring the stuff from the Alimurung residence to Santuario and back, we actually ended up spending more than we earned. What a waste of effort! But well, at least I picked up on a few more things that worked and didn't work, so we will probably give it one last go in the last quarter of this year, and if the adjustments we make still don't result in better sales, we will throw in the towel and focus on our other Fundraisers.

I'm looking forward to this weekend though. I booked a two-bedroom suite in Oakwood for Sat and Sun night, and I'm bringing my nephews, my mom and whoever else there. Last April I booked a room at Manila Pen and my nephews had tons of fun at the pool and in the tub. I figured it's better to get a room in a hotel with a pool and a tub rather than bring my family out of town so I got a bigger room this time (which also comes with free breakfast for more people). Also, it's just next to Glorietta so there are a lot of activities we can do when it is too hot to go swimming. Hopefully it will be a fun weekend (and a restful one)!

No comments: