Friday, May 27, 2005

Can't wait for Bo to release a CD

When I think about it, I guess it's for the best that Bo didn't win, because the AI runner-up gets a little bit more creative freedom in coming up with a CD than the actual Idol winner. And I reckon that Bo's CD will only work if he is allowed to be a bit more risky with his music. After all, that is how he became noticed - by taking a gamble with his song choices and not going purely mainstream.

That said, I still find it such a shame that Bo wasn't hailed as the American Idol. Of course, as I mention in my previous post, there were clues all around that said this would be Carrie's season. Even during the finale. Ryan Seacrest says that each contestant sings one of their favorites from the season, then they have to sing 2 original songs, 1 of them being the AI finale song 'Inside your heaven' which actually sounds so much like a country song (which as we all know is Carrie's forte). Then for his 2nd original song, Bo has to sing this other slow song 'Long, long road.' Come on, everyone knows that Bo's strength is upbeat rock songs (or upbeat songs with rock twists), so why do they get him to sing 2 slow songs? Then even more concerning: Carrie's 2nd 'original' song is 'Angels brought me here' which is NOT an original (it was the first single of Guy Sebastian, the Australian Idol, which I even think he performed in AI3). What was that about?

Conspiracy theorists have said that Bo was given two slow songs because if he rocked out in the finale, the same way he did in the penultimate round, they would be hard-pressed to explain why Carrie would still win over him. The sad thing is that Bo was apparently really sick on finale day too, food poisoning is what they said it was, but none of the judges acknowledged it. Simon even went so far as to say Bo was much more nervous than Carrie and didn't handle the bigger stage as well as she did, even though it seemed Bo was afraid not of the size of the stage but of puking on stage during a performace.

But okay, enough of the sour-grapes. =) Bo is still guaranteed a CD and I will certainly buy it when it is released (and if they don't release it in the Philippines, I will have Amy buy it in the US and have her send it to me). In the meantime, I will list down my favorite Bo Bice performances this season:

#1. In a Dream - okay this one's obvious. I have raved about it before, but I will rave about it again. He attempted something no one else on Idol had ever attempted before. His voice was clear and powerful, and the performance just had so much soul. It was like music ability in its pure, unadulterated form. Carrie's 'Making love out of nothing at all' was actually very well sung (go listen to it again if you can), but the fact that she sang it after Bo's acapella just made it seem forgettable and ordinary.

#2. Whipping Post - this is what put Bo on the map. We only knew him as the other rocker as cameras were glued to Constantine prior to the semifinal round. In semifinal round 2, Bo ended the show with Whipping Post, and that was the first performance this season that Simon felt was definitive (in the same way that Latoya was under the radar until she shocked everyone with her 'All by myself').

#3. Vehicle - if I were Bo and I were choosing a song to do in the finale, this would be the one I would pick too. I still remember the week he performed that song for the first time. He was the last performer and actually everyone had put in good performances. The judges were just about ready to hail Vonzell's 'I'm every woman' as the best of the night until Bo stepped up and sang what Simon felt was the 'only authentically good performance tonight.' I couldn't have said it better.

#4. Sweet home Alabama - okay, this wasn't officially one of his idol performances. But man, it was spectacular. Bo just looked completely in the zone when performing. He had such a glow, comfort level, and natural ability performing this song that if you didn't know better you would actually be led to think that he was really part of Lynyrd Skynyrd. His was the last performance of the night, and it just felt that he had actually won as every other idol came up to the sides of the stage along with the rest of the celebrity performers, and yet the spotlight was still on Bo.

I wish that, apart from the album he will be releasing, another CD would come out with recorded performances of my favorite Bo songs, maybe along with Spinning wheel, I don't wanna be, Heaven (the one by Los Lonely Boys), Free Bird, Don't let the sun go down on me, and Drift away. And if there's still room, let's throw in I can't get no satisfaction, Stand by me, and For the love of money.

No comments: