Monday, March 14, 2005

Whoever said sleep was overrated probably didn't get enough sleep growing up

Interesting weekend this last one was. Friday night I played tennis and it went pretty well considering I didn't play for a week (it was a tough week at work so I had to skip a couple of tennis sessions). The trainer started asking me to do more difficult "tricks" like jump into the serve and also to spin my serve. Pretty cool, but boy was my body sore as hell. =)

I then headed off to Diane's despedida - she'll be moving to the US for a 2-year assignment. The party was in Embassy at the Fort. Apparently, to get in you need to be in the guest list. And even when you get in, there's a private party area that's guarded by a huge bouncer. Diane's despedida was in this private area and it was the first time I've ever been to a private party in a private club. This 'exclusivity' thing is not my cup of tea, though, but well I wasn't there for the place but for Diane so it doesn't matter. Of course, later on, I realized this was where all the gorgeous girls in Manila were, so I guess maybe there is something to be said about places like this! =)

As for Saturday and Sunday, I spent most of it sleeping! I slept for 10 hours on Friday-Saturday, and I'm convinced I would've slept longer if I didn't have to attend the Get-together of Benefactors and Scholars in Ateneo at 430pm. The first scholar of Bukas Sarili, Audris, is graduating this Saturday, and as such, representatives from Bukas Sarili were invited to the event to celebrate with her. I was pretty much the only Bukas person who was available so I went. And I'm glad I did too because all the scholars were called up on stage along with their benefactors. As I got up past 2pm I was about 15 minutes late for the event, during which time the valedicatorian who was also a scholar was delivering his speech. Right after this was the segment where the scholars and their benefactors were called on stage so I guess you could say I made it just in time. We never had a similar event in UP (although I do know that at the start of my freshman year, there was an oblation scholars party in the Executive House, but that was it. Nothing after grad) and I recall thinking that this was such a cool thing to do. I was (and am still) really happy for Audris. I remember my mom telling me on the way home (I dropped her off in Rustan's Expresslane in Katipunan before I headed to ADMU and picked her up there afterwards) that it's great that those students get an opportunity to study in Ateneo.

I proceeded to sleep for 12 hours on Sat-Sun, getting up at 330pm (my body clock shifted to the EMEA timezone for some reason =)). Couldn't really do anything anymore so I just chilled and watched a couple of VCDs - "Leap of Faith" (starring Steve Martin) and "Something's Gotta Give" which was ok for the most part except for the ending because I wanted Diane Keaton to end up with Keanu and not with Jack Nicholson (maybe I will explain why in a separate post some other time).

No comments: