Monday, March 21, 2005

Expensive quirk

Most people I know buy CDs (especially original ones!) when there are about 3-4 songs in that album that they like. And I guess in general, I'm like that too. Except when there is a song that I absolutely love, in which case I buy the original CD just for that one song without really caring if I end up liking anything else in the CD. I bought the Nine days CD for "If I am", the 3 Doors Down CD for "Kryptonite" ("Be like that" had not been released at the time I bought that CD), the Ricky Martin CD for "Nobody wants to be lonely" (duet with Christina Aguilera), and the Creed CD for "Higher" (again, "With arms wide open" had not been released at the time). Generally I've been lucky with most of the CDs I got just for the one song as I end up enjoying the rest of the songs in the album. The Ricky Martin CD I didn't really listen to because "Nobody wants to be lonely" was actually a bonus track and was on a separate CD (single). So I ended up just listening to that single rather than the rest of the album.

My current favorite song is "Broken Sonnet" by Hale. I think I first found out what the title of the song was as well as the artist just last week, and since then I have heard it a LOT on all the mainstream radio stations. During the BSF meeting last Saturday, I mention to Bunky that maybe our band can perform this song (if this happens, this might be our first cover of local rock song) and Christelle says "Yeah, that's a great song" and proceeds to tell me in which album the song can be found. I forgot the name of the album, but I reckon I know the name of the band so I should be able to find it. As it turns out, I couldn't find it anywhere! So after a futile attempt looking for the CD everywhere, I decide to text Christelle and ask her what the title of Hale's album is. Apparently, Hale does NOT have an album out yet, and Christells says "Broken Sonnet" is actually in "Full Volume" which is a Pinoy alternative rock compilation. So I go to Tower, find "Full Volume", and buy it. Between yesterday and today, I have probably spent about 3-4 hours listening to just this song hahaha I know I'm absolutely frickin' mental! Same thing happened with "Nobody wants to be lonely" - I put the CD in my CD drive at work a few years ago and kept listening to it while working until I realized I had listened to it the entire morning!

A lot of people might actually think it's kinda stupid to buy an entire CD just for one song. But when I think about it, the enjoyment I get out of that one song can be greater than the amount of fun people have with entire albums, so who cares? Besides, in about a day and a half, I have listened to this one song more often than other people have listened to entire CDs that they have bought. So really, who gets more bang for their buck? =)

No comments: